Welcome to stren #67, Proceeding to Succeed. This stren explains the four steps most certain to prevent imminent human catastrophe and create sustained peace. The process requires a sufficient number of leaders who understand the process here described and will initiate the domino effect required to mobilize the larger population into constructive action. Given the nearly seven billion people who wish or pray for world peace, I believe a million peace leaders united in effective action will be unstoppable. I have no doubt that goal is attainable given the reach of our current mass media and Internet.
The problem has been described in detail throughout these strens, and in the other resources available for free at our website, www.anwot.org. To sum up briefly: surviving through harmful aggression, which has worked for billions of years, has suddenly become maladaptive as our generation creates and makes weapons with ultimate destructive power (WUD) widely available. Our most knowledgeable scientists and informed citizens predict one or more tribes are likely to use them in our generation and most certainly during our children’s lifetime. War followed by rebuilding, the traditional means to establish dominance, is no longer possible as our WUD offer no second chance. Prevention through cooperation and collaboration is required instead. We have a mission to elevate ourselves to become the humane species we preach but have yet to reach. Understanding how we can proceed to succeed will overcome the prevalent hopeless/helpless attitude that shuts down our energy to take action. Subsequent strens will explain our unique third stage of development, the meaning and the process of attaining self-mastery.
Our species has been gifted with a specialized freedom organ, our cerebral cortex, with sufficient intelligence to free our will from instinct and the traditions of our nurturers. We invent symbols to create language and self-consciousness. This is our means to master our own destiny and that of all about us. When mature and properly educated, we not only think about our surroundings, we think about what we think. We are conscious of our consciousness. We create a private world, make assumptions using the data available to us, and create phenomena and action pathways unprecedented in nature. Through the power of interpretation, we make assumptions that become our collection of beliefs. Our assumptive worldview establishes a value system that distinguishes us from all life on earth. The values we assume create a mental- spiritual private world that influences our life experience more than the events of the physical world we share in common. Only we discover cause-and-effect, store, share, and pass this power of knowledge forward to increasingly make us godlike creators and destroyers. Within the last one hundred years, a blink in historical time, our scientific method has created a quantum leap in self-mastery. Our recent dramatic acceleration of knowledge has thrust our generation and certainly our children’s generation into a race between survival and annihilation.
Our animal brain supports the destructive action pathways that were effective in solving yesterday’s problems by applying yesterday’s knowledge. Some actions have become maladaptive given the new solutions required to solve the problems of today’s technology. Domination through harmful symbolic aggression may be expressed as jealousy, resentment, hate, bigotry, prejudice, bullying, greed and speed, and insatiable pursuit of the symbols of power such as physical wealth and titles. These behaviors are not the deviant expressions of “evil” people. They are the action patterns we would expect to be dictated by our animal brain. They persist unless restrained by education in the skills of civility. To the degree we allow our animal brain to dominate our thinking and assumptive worldview, we will remain uncivilized and become the first species to hasten our own extinction as we apply our creativity stupidly. The symbolic expression of instinct’s fight or flight, survival of the fittest perspective to dominate through harmful confrontation is no longer adaptive in a world where most tribes possess weapons with ultimate destructive power.
The wonderful news is that since we ourselves cause much of our distress by our way of thinking, we are positioned to assume responsibility by creating newer problem-solving skills. We no longer need to passively sustain traditional outdated action pathways. We can selectively replace the assumptive worldviews imposed on us by our animal brain and those of our nurturers that were adaptive to yesterday’s problems. ANWOT elevates us to the self-mastery stage of humanmind’s development … problem-solving, originality, creating love, flexibility, tolerance, cooperation, and other conflict resolution skills. Power, applied with wisdom, can consistently lead to “feeling good” and “doing good.” The wise direction of our rapidly expanding self-mastery requires “willful” updating of our assumptive worldview. Let’s now understand how to solve the problem.
The Solution: If we are to continue to make history instead of making ourselves history, we must follow these four steps.
- Become aware of the severity of the problem.
- Recognize that the danger is imminent.
- Understand that prevention is required.
- United action will be unstoppable.
PROCEEDING TO SUCCEED by wise direction of our power of creation and destruction:
1. Become aware of the severity of the danger of proliferation of biologic and nuclear WUD. The Nagasaki and Hiroshima bombs were the equivalent of 2000 trucks each carrying 10 tons of dynamite. Can you imagine the effect of one 20 megaton bomb, the equivalent of 2,000,000 trucks with 10 tons of dynamite? Ounces of biological pathogens, properly distributed, are capable of exceeding the harm from our most powerful bomb. The materials required to produce biological weapons are more available and easier to create unnoticed than nuclear weapons.
2. Recognize that the danger is imminent. Our most informed citizens predict that biological and/or nuclear WUD will be used again before the end of 20131, most likely in our lifetime, and almost certainly in the lifetime of our children. Urgent action is required. We must overcome the hopeless/helpless attitude that shuts down our energy. Most people wish or pray for world peace but fail to unite to take effective action while terrorists organize their followers to rule the world.
3. Understand that preventive action is required. As described above and in previous strens, the traditional problem-solving pattern of the animal portion of our brain, war followed by a rebuilding “cure,” is no longer suitable because WUD offer no second chance. WUD don’t hurt in stages; they remain out of sight and mind until a single, devastating strike, at which point it is too late. The destructive power of today’s and tomorrow’s weapons (if there is a tomorrow) is irreversible. Survival requires assigning a value to prevention that exceeds anything we have done to date.
4. United action will be unstoppable. We have the knowledge and technology to proceed to succeed ... if we make a coordinated effort. The critical step is uniting sufficient world peace advocates to popularize ANWOT. We can arouse most of the nearly seven billion persons who want to live in a peaceful world if we first unite one million of our most capable citizens. The first individuals to be recruited are those successful leaders who are already motivated for world peace. If you are an individual who is a Mental Wealth millionaire or are willing to teach yourself the newer way of thinking to acquire Mental Wealth, we need you to partner with others as an each one, teach many peace leader who will educate our global population. We must first change our own assumptive views to include global priorities. By acquiring ANWOT, we elevate our assumptive worldview to create a joyous meaningful life experience and simultaneously become a powerful force for world peace.
1The World at Risk, Report of a joint Commission of the U.S. Congress to study and report the status of proliferation of WMD.
ANWOT leads to the universal values such as love your neighbor and do unto others that all intelligent problem-solving arrives at through common sense. It inspires the skills of patience and love that shift our assumptive worldview from our animal brain’s narrow focus on local priorities to include the global issues that only our human brain can envision. ANWOT redirects our energy from physical wealth and physical health (including superficial appearances) to make wisdom, i.e. Mental Wealth, our highest priority. I have observed that most physical wealth millionaires discover that “there” isn’t “there” – in other words, material success doesn’t bring all that our animal brain assumes will be at the end of the rainbow. Greater satisfaction is attained by becoming a giveaway millionaire, focused on a charitable endeavor that benefits a specific category of individuals. Kudos are in order for those leaders who reach this level of super-maturity. However, we still miss the big picture. Good deeds focused on localized groups are too little and too late to overcome our current momentum for self-extinction. Often the “give” is tied to a “take,” to serve greed through a good deed, giving to get more than truly giving of oneself to serve humanity. Would the give persist without the take of monetary reward or public adulation? Perhaps it is unreasonable to expect we can sufficiently elevate ourselves above the demands of our animal brain where the self-endorsements we create enable us to give and sustain our good deeds as a complete act, where rewards from others are no longer required. However, is there any doubt that our united efforts can create a quantum leap towards a gentler safer world if we simply expand our assumptive worldview to add global priorities to the local ones we pursue?
I do hope this stren provides sufficient awareness of the four steps to achieve our highest goals: a wonderful life experience and world peace. The next stren explains how we can proceed to the super-mature third phase of development which is available only to humankind.